As strong downward movement hits US markets, fiat/Bitcoin interfaces have reported substantial gains for the USD versus Bitcoin. The USD has risen to less than 5000 USD for one Bitcoin if they are to believed. Notably, this movement follows Mircea Popescu's determination that a Most Serene Republic can not actually be constructed.
The novel coronavirus panic is inciting ever higher levels of inconvenience:
- Italy has declared a quarantine for the entire country and ordered all businesses with the exception of pharmacies, food markets, and selected "essential" factories shuttered until at least March 25th (archived).
- The "World Health Organization" declared the spread of the novel coronavirus a pandemic.
- The Chicago Mercantile Exchange will be closing its trading floor after the close of business Friday (archived).
- The NCAA "March Madness" basketball games will be closed to fans (archived).
- US stocks continue suffering: DJIA down 5.86%, S&P 500 down 4.89%, and NASDAQ down 4.7% (archived)
- A "containment zone" has been set up surrounding New Rochelle, New York's seventh largest "city" after racking up 178 confirmed cases and at least 1000 in quarantine following synagogue exposure to the local patient zero (archived)
With the young TMSR OS project beginning to take shape, quite a few "developer teams" and "communities" are finding themselves depreciated. From MUSL's legacy developers disqualifying themselves over hieroglyph fixations to the rEFInd developer's silent satisfaction leaving him out, an increasing amount of code is finding itself liberated from herd driven debasement. Continue reading
The losses that started with Asian markets opening continued as European and North American markets opened leading to "circuit breaker" trading halts as stock indexes fell faster than fiat market operators could deign to tolerate (archived). Italian markets have been hit particularly hard as the novel coronavirus has managed to thrive there leading to the quarantine of 15 regions. In the past 20 years, only the reopening of the NYSE in the aftermath of 9/11 and October 23rd, 2008 rival the S&P 500 ETF's opening losses today. Sorry for your loss.
With numerous senior members of Iran's government stricken by the novel coronavirus, Revolutionary Guard leader Hossein Salami made a public statement raising the possibility that the outbreak is the result of a US bioweapon attack (archived). On January 3rd the USG assassinated Iranian Quds Force Major General Qassem Soleimani inside Iraq while there on diplomatic business at Iraq's invitation. Iran retaliated with precision ballistic missile strikes on USG positions in Iraq which the USG humiliatingly could not answer with anything other than token sanctions.
While Salami is merely raising the possibility of USG culpability at this point, the USG's credibility on the international stage is locked into a steep downward spiral.
As the show trial of Joshua Schulte for allegedly leaking the USG.CIA's "Vault 7" hacking tools approaches its end, it has come out that the software was secured behind shared passwords including 123ABCdef, mysweetsummer, and others (archived). The security situation described at trial is such that anyone in the development group could have been the leaker making USG's case on the prosecution consist of "Schulte is the one we know was disgruntled, and he, like everyone else on the team, had the means to leak" and nothing more.